It's Me, Oh Lord, Standing in Need of Prayer

Title: It’s Me, Oh Lord, Standing in Need of Prayer

Artist: Ruth Starr Rose

Date: 1944

Size: 12.625″ x 16.875″

Medium: Print

Technique: Lithograph

Credit: Gift of the Harmon Foundation

Description: A man in the center of the image is kneeling on a raft in the ocean with his hands clasped together in a prayer form, raised above his head. To his left, in the background, is a ship that is sinking. To his right, in the background, is a boat with four angels, three sitting and rowing with one standing, pointing towards the man. Above the boat, in the top right corner, are three angels, flying down towards the man with a partial church-like structure in the sky. Behind the man is what appears to maybe be sunrise behind clouds with the sun rays illuminating the angels and church structure in the sky.

Beyond the Image

It’s Me, Oh Lord, Standing in Need of Prayer by Ruth Starr Rose is named after an African American spiritual by the same title, sometimes shortened to “Standing in Need of Prayer” and, in some instances, “It’s Me, Oh Lord”. The spiritual emphasizes the importance of prayer, especially for oneself. The lyrics make it clear that the singer is asking for God’s guidance for themselves rather than a typical prayer request for others:

“It’s me, it’s me, O Lord,
Standin’ in the need of prayer;
It’s me, it’s me, O Lord,
Standin’ in the need of prayer.
Not the preacher, not the deacon, but it’s me, O Lord,
Standin’ in the need of prayer;
Standin’ in the need of prayer.
Not the stranger, not my neighbor, but it’s me, O Lord,
Standin’ in the need of prayer;
Standin’ in the need of prayer.”

Religion played an important part of life at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute. General Samuel C. Armstrong put emphasis on not only learning a trade and educating the mind, but also on living as a morally sound person; in other words, “training the hand, head and heart.” Sundays included religious services in the morning, followed by Bible classes in the afternoon, and religious lectures or a prayer meeting in the evening. Prayer itself was important and was included twice a day as part of the daily schedule of student life, with family prayers at 6:30 am and evening prayers just over 12 hours later at 6:45 pm.

The daily schedule at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute as recorded by its teachers in the book, "Hampton and Its Students". (Library of Congress)
00:00
00:00
  • "Standing in Need of Prayer" by Utica Institute Jubilee Singers, 1929, Internet Archive. 00:00

Resources & further reading

Armstrong, M. F. , -1903, Helen W. Joint Author Ludlow, Thomas P Fenner, and Rouben Mamoulian Collection. Hampton and Its Students. New York, G. P. Putnam’s sons, 1874. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/07042208/.

Utica Institute Jubilee Singers. “Standing in Need of Prayer.” Internet Archive, 1929. https://archive.org/details/78_standing-in-need-of-prayer_utica-institute-jubilee-singers_gbia0026274a.

Requesting Images

For questions regarding high-resolution digital images, please contact our director, Dr. Vanessa Thaxton-Ward. For more information on image use, please see our FAQ under “Can I request an image?”