Wigwam Rm. 100
Hampton Virginia 23668
Winona Hall was formerly the nurses’ quarters for persons working at Dixie Hospital, located across Queen Street near the main entrance to the campus. It was acquired in 1960 and converted into a women’s residence hall and named in honor of Winona Lodge, a dormitory for Indian girls constructed in 1882. The programming objective for Winona Lodge was to foster the development of self-esteem and self-worth among the girls, which would enable them to lead lives of service when they left Hampton. Winona Lodge was demolished in 1950 to make room for a larger women’s residence hall. For sixty-eight years, however, the Lodge was an integral part of residential life at Hampton. Dixie Hospital was a building acquired by the University and converted into Queen Street Honors Residence Hall. Queen Street Hall was demolished in 2009 to provide a part of the site for the newly built Hampton University Cafeteria. Winona Hall has undergone extensive renovation and refurbishing and was re-opened in the fall semester, 2010, as a residence hall for male students.
Winona Hall is a 77 capacity, two level residence hall featuring double occupancy and single occupancy rooms.
The rooms feature extended twin beds, desks, dressers, built in closets, a technology package for internet and cable, and individual central air conditioning/heating controls.
Community facilities include a restroom and showers on each floor, laundry facilities, kitchen, common room, billiards table, vending room, and a lobby with seating.
Director: Gloria Robinson