Office of Compliance and Disability Services

Special Housing Request Deadline was Aug 5, 2023 We are not processing additional requests at this time.

Deadline for Spring Special Housing is Nov 1st, 2023

Hampton University is committed to a policy of ensuring that no otherwise qualified individual with a disability is excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination in University programs or activities due to his or her disability. The University is fully committed to complying with all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and to providing equal educational opportunities to otherwise qualified students and employees with disabilities.

The Office of Compliance and Disability Services provides and coordinates accommodations, support services and auxiliary aids for qualified students with disabilities and qualified employees with disabilities. Any member of the campus community in need of disability services should contact the Director of Compliance and Disability Services, located in the Student Success Center and can be reached at 757-727-5493 or via email

Non-Discrimination Policy

Hampton University adheres to the principle of equal education and employment opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of disability. This policy extends to all students and employees and applicants for admission and/or employment. Further, it extends to all programs and activities supported by the University; including the Undergraduate College, College of Continuing Education, College of Virginia Beach and the Graduate College.

Are You Eligible to Receive Services?

In order to receive services the student must first self-identify with the Office of Disability Services as having a disability or impairment

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Amendments of 2008 (ADA)”classifies a disability as one that substantially limits one or more major life activity”. This means a substantial limitation of walking, talking, learning, or not being able to complete daily tasks on your own which is caused by a diagnosed and documented disability or impairment.

Please Note: While you may have had an IEP or 504 plan in high school it does not continue to college. A diagnosis from a licensed physician or healthcare practitioner must be present in order for the student to be considered for services. Please refer to the Required Documentation List for specific documentation guidelines.

Should you become temporarily impaired due to a broken limb or other reasons and need accommodations, please contact the office at

When applying to receive temporary accommodations please provide a letter from a physician detailing the diagnosis, how it affects you in an academic setting, and for how long the accommodation will be needed. While providing temporary accommodations are not mandated, the University works to ensure that each student has an opportunity to succeed no matter the unforeseen circumstance.

Special Housing Placement is based on Campus Housing availability at the time of approval.


Resources for Faculty/Staff

Documentation must be submitted to the office of the Director of Compliance and Disability Services to support the request. Decisions are made on a case by case basis.

Registered Students

New Students and Parents

Scroll to Top