Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits for Students at Hampton University

How to Apply: Before completing the Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits form, please read this information sheet for Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits.

  • Students that are planning to attend Hampton University as a new or transfer student will have to be accepted into Hampton University before using any Veteran Affairs Benefits. Military members must meet the service requirements in order to be eligible to receive or transfer Veteran Affairs benefits.
  • If you are a reservist, you will also need to obtain a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from your reserve unit and attach it to your application materials that need to be submitted to the VA to approve the use of benefits.
  • If you are a dependent of an active duty member, the benefits will need to be transferred to the student. If you are a dependent of a retired or non-active duty member, the student will need to apply for the benefits. If you are a dependent of a service member who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001 you can also apply. In either case you will need to go to to apply or if you are not able to apply online by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
  • If you have never received benefits at Hampton University or any other school prior to acceptance at Hampton University and you have completed the application process, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. You will need to provide a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of the Registrar (VA Clerk).
  • If you have received benefits at Hampton University in the past, you will need to complete a form called “Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form” each semester you are taking courses. This form must be completed by all V.A. beneficiaries and submitted with a class schedule for the term. The “Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form” and scheduled are submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
  • If a student has a break in his/her enrollment, the student must be readmitted through the Admissions department first and then submit the “Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form” along with the registered classes for each term in which he/she seeks to use benefits.
  • If you have never received benefits at Hampton University but received them at another school, you will need to complete the following forms: “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training”, located at This form must be submitted to the V.A. office of the region and provide a copy of the completed form to Office of the Registrar (VA Clerk). A “Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form” has to be submitted to use your benefits.
  • Yellow Ribbon is supplemental funding. Yellow ribbon is not guaranteed to all students. There are only 100 slots for Yellow Ribbon currently. Students can request Yellow ribbon when slots become available they will be filled as there is a wait list for Yellow ribbon. Once you have a slot to receive yellow ribbon you will continue unless you withdraw from Hampton University, run out of benefits, and or graduate from Hampton University.

Note: All forms and additional materials should be submitted to the Hampton University Office of the Registrar. Forms should be completed in ink their entirety with a legal signature and accompanying date.

Veteran Affairs Certification Request Form

For More information on Veterans Affairs and Yellow Ribbon please click the link below.

GI Bill Home (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Quick Links