Office of Experiential Education
Experiential Education Goals
The primary goal of the Office of Experiential Education is to provide outstanding experiences in pharmaceutical care to students in the School of Pharmacy at Hampton University. The School of Pharmacy is committed to raising the bar in the pharmacy profession. Appropriate training of the students of today is the avenue to raising standards and expectations of pharmacy practice. The Office of Experiential Education provides quality sites for students to put into practice the information that they have received throughout the innovative curriculum. The Office of Experiential Education also serves as a vital link between the School of Pharmacy and the practicing pharmacists in the State of Virginia and throughout the United States.
The second goal of the Office of Experiential Education is to coordinate the Professional Development portion of the pharmacy curriculum. The Professional Development Series provides structured instruction on the development of professional behavior and attitude. The Pharmaceutical Care Series provides meaningful instruction to the students every semester of the professional curriculum. Topics covered include decorum; expectations and requirements of professionalism; development of prospective employment packets such as resumes and personal statements; attainment of career enhancing opportunities such as internships and residencies; and exposure to the principles and techniques of leadership, management, and personnel development. In addition, the Office of Experiential Education coordinates the Pharmacy Career Fair, interviews, and Post-Graduate Training Awareness Days.
The third goal of the Office of Experiential Education is to expose students to the various areas of pharmacy practice and the expanding roles and responsibilities of pharmacists in our evolving health care environment. The Office of Experiential Education assists in coordinating and disseminating information, experiences, and exposures to students relative to the various areas of practice available to pharmacists.
- To ensure excellence in teaching and mentorship from those entrusted with the responsibility of cultivating pharmacy students.
- To ensure the achievement of competence in the field of pharmacy practice through the provision of comprehensive pharmaceutical care.
- To promote the pharmacy preceptor and student as integral members of the health care team.
- To foster harmonious relationships between Hampton University School of Pharmacy and the larger pharmacy community.
- To provide instruction to students relative to basic principles of professionalism, attainment of professional behavior and attitudes, and preparation for professional employment.
- To provide opportunities for students to become familiar with the expanding roles of pharmacists in various areas of pharmacy practice.
- To provide stimulation for students to pursue additional training and post-graduate education, as well as foster participation in life-long learning.
- To utilize modern technology to create a paperless working environment using computerization and the Internet to provide many of the Office’s services