Is there an entrance examination or interview process required to be accepted into the baccalaureate program?
Yes. We administer the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) entrance examination the 4th Saturday in January and again the end of February.

How do I apply to get into the baccalaureate program?
Simply complete the Hampton University application for admission. The School of Nursing accepts applicants who meet requirements for admission to the University and specific admission requirements of the School of Nursing into the Pre-Professional Nursing Program. Admission to the Department of Undergraduate Nursing Education is a two-tier process:  students must be admitted to the Pre-Professional Nursing Program and to the Professional Program. The acceptance letter into HU satisfies admission to Pre-Professional Nursing, but does not automatically qualify students for acceptance into the Professional Program. A student must complete a separate application for admission to the Professional Nursing Program of the Department of Undergraduate Nursing Education. The School of Nursing Department of Undergraduate Nursing Education handles the admissions process for the Professional Nursing Program.  A competitive ranking scale is utilized during the admissions process. Emphasis is placed on overall GPA, science and math GPA, scores on the TEAS and letters of recommendation.  All admissions decisions are final and not subject to appeal. Please visit the School of Nursing for further information.

Are there prerequisites that I need to take before applying/entering the program?
We do not require prerequisites to enter the Pre-Professional Nursing program. However, once a student has been accepted into the program, the student is required to successfully complete all required general education courses (Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Microbiology, General Chemistry, Oral Communication, Written Communication I & II, College Mathematics II, Intro to Sociology, Intro to Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Humanities I, Humanities II or Humanities Elective, World Civilization II, PED (2) Physical Activity Courses OR Health Education 200, Statistics, General Elective) before being eligible to apply to the  Professional Nursing program.

What kind of a degree will I have upon graduation?
You will receive a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree with a major in nursing.

Is my nursing education complete when I graduate from your school?
Your formal nursing educational preparation for a BS degree is complete when you obtain all necessary credits and graduate.  After graduation you sit for the National Council Licensure Exam for Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN™) before entering professional nursing practice.

Are all college course credits transferable?
We will accept transfer credits for any general education course that is applicable to our curriculum from an accredited school, college, or university. These courses must be less than 10 years old, and you must have earned a grade of “C” or better in each course.  Applicants must have completed math and science courses within the last five(5) years.  We also accept International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement (exam scores of 3 or higher) and Dual Enrollment credits. The University will waive its University 101 – The Individual and Life requirement if you transfer 30 or more credits. The School of Nursing does not accept transfer credits for any nursing courses.

Will I need transportation?
You will need to provide your own transportation to all clinical agency sites.

Do you have a part-time and/or evening program?
We do not currently offer part-time or evening programs.

I already have a bachelor’s/master’s degree in another field. How long will it take me to complete your nursing program?
If you are able to transfer all of the required general education courses, you can complete the nursing didactic and clinical courses in  2 years and one summer in the traditional program.

I have recently completed two semesters of nursing in a baccalaureate or associate degree program and wish to transfer to your program. Will I get credit for the nursing courses I have already completed?
We do not accept any transfer credits for nursing courses from other institutions.

Can my LPN program courses transfer and count toward the first two years of the BS program?
We do not accept any transfer credits of nursing courses from other institutions.  We award up to 7 advanced placement credits for Licensed Practical Nurses.

I am presently a certified nursing assistant and have been working for the last five years. Will I receive advanced placement in your program?
Advanced placement credit toward the bachelors degree is only granted to licensed practice nurses (LPN) and registered nurse (RN) students.

I was unsuccessful in another nursing program; do you give special consideration to these applicants?
We do not admit students who have been dismissed from a nursing program or who have received failing grades (“C” or below) in nursing courses.

Can I CLEP (challenge) some college courses?
The following courses may be accepted for CLEP credit at Hampton University and applied toward a Bachelor of Science degree: College Composition with Essay, Humanities, Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Human Growth & Development, Introductory Psychology, and Introduction to Sociology.

Please contact the Office of Testing Services at Hampton University for further information or 757-727-5493.

Is financial aid available?
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for further information or call 1-800-624-3341 or 757-727-5332.

Do you offer any continuing education or refresher programs?
We currently do not offer any continuing education or refresher course programs.

What are the application deadlines?
The closing date for the receipt of all applications to Hampton University, and the Pre-Professional Nursing program is March 1for fall admission and November 1st for spring admission. Please contact the Office of Admission at 757-727-5328 or 1-800-624-3328. Applications to the Professional Nursing Program is due March 15th.

I work full-time. Can I fit the coursework into my schedule?
You may be able to fit the coursework around your work schedule however, we do not recommend students work full-time.

Do you have a waiting list?
We currently do not have a waiting list.

Do I need to send a transcript from EVERY college I have attended?
We require an official transcript from every college, university, or professional school that you have attended.

What should I do if English is not my first language?
Applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as one of the admissions requirements to Hampton University. You may also contact the Office of Testing Services at Hampton University or call 757-727-5493 for more information.

What programs and degrees are offered at the School of Nursing?
We offer bachelor, masters, and doctoral programs and degrees.

Undergraduate Programs:
Traditional BS
RN-BS (HU Online)
BS in Health Science
Minor Gerontology

Graduate Programs:
Nursing Administration
Nursing Education
Family Nurse Practitioner

Does the School of Nursing offer distance learning programs?
The School of Nursing offers the RN to BS and PhD programs online.

When do you admit students?
We admit students in the fall and spring to the Pre-Professional Nursing Program.

Can I make an appointment with an advisor to have my transcripts evaluated?
Admission to the Professional Nursing Program is every summer.  For more details, contact the Office of Student Academic Support Services in the School of Nursing at  (757) 637-2816, 637-2577, and schedule an appointment for an unofficial evaluation of your transcripts after you have applied to Hampton University.

Can I transfer courses from a foreign country?
It is your responsibility to have your international transcripts evaluated by an agency that evaluates international transcripts. The official international transcript evaluation must be submitted to the Office of Admission with your application.  These credits will be reviewed by the admissions committee.

Is there a time limit on any of the prerequisite courses?
Math and science courses should not have been completed more than five years prior to your acceptance to the School of Nursing at Hampton University.