Freshmen and Transfer Students are considered pre-majors. To enter the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications, pre-majors are required to:
- Pass JAC 101, JAC 105 and JAC 110 with a grade of “C” or better
- Have and maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Complete 30 credit hours (Sophomore Classification) of academic credit
Once the requirements are met, the students then become majors in the school.
We want our students to be well prepared for their careers or for advanced study. To enhance their education and success, we have these graduation requirements:
- Have a 2.5 grade point average in journalism and communications courses
- Complete 120 credit hours, of which 72 are outside of the school, 65 are in the liberal arts and sciences and no more than 48 are in journalism and communications; additionally, majors cannot complete more than six total credit hours in JAC 465 (Internship) and JAC 467 (Practicum)
- Complete a university-approved minor or an 18-credit hour area of emphasis outside of the School of Journalism and Communications
- Complete a school-approved internship at a media organization appropriate to the student’s major
- Complete a portfolio that demonstrates that 1) the student has mastered the basic skills of his or her major and 2) that the student’s work reflects a critical and ethical understanding of the profession
All journalism and communications majors are required to successfully complete at least one approved internship before they graduate. The internship period must be a minimum of 150 hours and can be for course credit or to meet graduation requirements. Internships for non-course credit can be taken anytime during the student’s academic year.
In addition to university scholarships, the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications offers a variety of scholarships to eligible students. Information about scholarships is posted on the Student Information Board on the second floor of the Scripps Howard building, announced via student email or are posted on the school’s intranet when they become available.
List of Scripps Howard School Scholarships and eligibility criteria:
- Robert P. Scripps Endowed Scholarship: Students majoring in journalism/communications with financial need.
- Jean and Charles Shulz Endowed Scholarship: Students majoring in Journalism.
- Burdick-Burnett Endowed Scholarship: African-American journalism senior 3.0 GPA or above.
- Scripps Howard Endowed Journalism Scholarship: On the basis of merit and not just need to freshmen, sophomores, juniors or seniors.
- NBCUniversal Fellows Scholarship Fund: On the basis of merit and need. Available for eligible juniors and seniors.
- RF Binder Scholarship: On the basis of merit and need. Available for eligible junior and senior female students in strategic communications.