Merritt Group is a nationally recognized strategic communications agency that provides marketing, public relations and digital strategy and services to organizations ranging from venture-funded startups to global Fortune 500 companies. We are seeking a smart, creative and energetic intern to join our team in Tysons Corner, VA.
This person will help teams across the agency develop and execute high-profile communications campaigns and land big media stories for clients across a range of business markets (government, healthcare, security and emerging technologies).
College seniors or recent grads majoring in public relations, communications, journalism or related fields are preferred. Candidates must have outstanding communication skills — both verbal and written — and be detail-oriented, deadline-driven and highly collaborative. Bonus points for those who (like us!) love a fast pace and are thrilled by technology and innovation. We offer flexible remote or hybrid work options and can develop a schedule that accommodates our intern’s class schedule.
Candidates can email their resume and a few sentences about their interest in the internship to Edward Lin, account manager at Merritt Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) seeks a paid intern for the International Journalists’ Network (IJNet), ICFJ’s online publication focused on journalism tips, tools and opportunities.
The internship is a great opportunity to build foundational experience in digital publishing and international journalism through tasks that involve managing social media, designing and coordinating engagement activities, tracking analytics and evaluating audience growth. Interns will also have the opportunity to contribute written and multimedia content for publishing on the website.
- The internship will begin in September 2022 and last 12 weeks.
- ICFJ will provide a $16.10 per-hour internship wage. Students will work up to 35-hours weekly.
- Assist IJNet staff with writing and scheduling daily social media
- Design and implement engagement campaigns across various platforms
- Contribute written articles for publication on IJNet.org
- Use Google Analytics, Chartbeat and other software to track analytics and draw meaningful conclusions
- Assist in the production of multimedia projects, including podcasts, social videos and video interviews
- Work together with program staff to advertise and recruit for upcoming events using digital platforms
- Assist ICFJ staff in researching potential funders and project ideas
- Provide administrative support as needed
- Intern must be enrolled in a degree-granting program with an HBCU during the internship or a recent graduate
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter
- Strong attention to detail and highly developed organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Interest in international affairs and global news developments
- Experience with social media, scheduling platforms, analytics software, news writing and digital tools are preferred
- Applicants must be U.S.-based and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- A deep understanding of social media tools and audience engagement practices
- Research abilities
- Website and social media analytics tracking knowledge
- Video and/or audio editing skills
- Design experience with tools such as Canva
Learning Goals and Professional Growth Opportunities
By the end of the internship, the Back in the Newsroom intern will:
- Participate in a paid internship at IJNet to gain experience in written, video and audio reporting.
- Gain valuable knowledge of social media tools and how to engage audiences.
- Produce a high-quality resume and improve their interviewing skills.
- Receive feedback and mentorship from media experts at all stages of the internship.
- Leave better positioned to pursue a career in journalism.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter here. Only complete applications will be considered.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Sinclair Broadcast Group
“Sinclair Broadcast Group is offering paid Fall 2022 internships at selected news operations that our company oversees throughout the continental United States!!!
Additionally we also have the Bally Sports Networks, Tennis Channel and the Washington, D.C.-based Full Measure national investigative news program that are also offering selected internships as well!!!
Below is a list of our paid internships for Fall 2022 … if you are interested … please apply today!”
Fall 2022 internship program at WSBT News in South Bend, Indiana – 2 internship openings – link to online application / internship description:
NOTE: Internship description says location is “Mishawaka, IN,” but that really is the South Bend, Indiana news market … located only a 2 ½-hour drive southeast of Chicago.
WSBT News site: https://wsbt.com [wsbt.com]
Fall 2022 Internship program at WBFF Fox 45 in Baltimore, Maryland – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
WBFF Fox Baltimore site: https://foxbaltimore.com [foxbaltimore.com]
Fall 2022 internship program at WCIV ABC News 4 in Charleston, South Carolina – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
NOTE: Internship description says location is “Mt. Pleasant, SC,” but that really is the Charleston, South Carolina news market.
WCIV ABC News 4 site: https://abcnews4.com [abcnews4.com]
Link to cool video about living in Charleston, South Carolina and being part of the WCIV ABC News 4 team!:
Fall 2022 internship program at WSYX ABC 6 in Columbus, Ohio – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
WSYX ABC 6 site: https://abc6onyourside.com [abc6onyourside.com]
Fall 2022 internship program at WPEC CBS 12 in West Palm Beach, Florida – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
WPEC CBS 12 in West Palm Beach, Florida site: https://cbs12.com [cbs12.com]
Fall 2022 internship program at Full Measure national investigative news program based in Washington, D.C. – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
Full Measure site: https://fullmeasure.news [fullmeasure.news]
Fall 2022 internship program at Bally Sports North in Minneapolis, Minnesota – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
Bally Sports North site: https://www.ballysports.com/north [ballysports.com]
Fall 2022 internship program at Bally Sports South in Atlanta, Georgia – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
Bally Sports South site: https://www.ballysports.com/south [ballysports.com]
Fall 2022 production internship program at Tennis Channel in Santa Monica, California (Los Angeles area) – 1 internship opening – link to online application / internship description:
From description: “The selected intern will have the opportunity to gain real-world production experience and learn different areas of the department such as content, remote studio, and social/digital.”
Tennis Channel site: https://tennis.com [tennis.com]