If you are an eligible service member, you must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or Military Service Counselor prior to enrolling in courses at Hampton U Online.  Please see Hampton University’s Military Affairs Website for additional information in regard to attending Hampton U Online. 

What You Need to Know

You have the passion, intellect and drive to get ahead, but doors won’t open for you without higher education. You need a degree, but finding a traditional program to fit your hectic schedule is difficult.  Don’t let external factors shut out your dreams.  Hampton U Online can unlock the door to your future!  Hampton U Online offers students the freedom to study online anytime, anywhere to earn a certificate, undergraduate or graduate degree in an ever-expanding range of degree program offerings.  Now is the time to open the door to your future – let Hampton U Online be your key!

Let’s Get Started!

You’ve decided to take charge of your future, but where do you start?  An online degree is a challenge, but challenge is what drives you.  You understand that overcoming any challenge starts with a first step, which leads to the next, and before long you are done.  Take time today to take these first steps to achieving your educational goals:

  • Educate yourself about your target occupation. Decide which degree program will best help you achieve your goals.  You can contact one of our knowledgeable enrollment specialists for guidance and other resources as you consider possible degree programs.

  • Learn about online learning and what it takes to be a successful online student. Contact an Hampton U Online specialist to get quick answers to questions you may have about distance learning and how a higher education can get benefit your life.
  • High School Diploma or GED Equivalent—Students must provide an official high school transcript verifying graduation and date graduated or proof of completion of GED and date completed.
  • Application for Admission—Apply online. Applications submitted with incomplete information may delay or impede the admissions process. Applicants may apply as either regular (undergraduate major) or special (undergraduate non-degree) and may enroll as either full-time or part-time.
    *Students interested in the B.A. in Religious Studies or B.S. in Aviation Management (Airport Administration) should refer to the specific requirements for those programs.
  • Official Transcripts From All Former Colleges / Universities / Military—Prospective transfer students must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better at a previous college. Transcripts must reflect all undergraduate courses completed as of date of application. All official college transcripts submitted by mail must arrive in a sealed, unopened envelope. Active duty and retired military personnel must present the appropriate military transcript.
  • Review and submit your admissions requirements. Applicants must submit all admissions documents before final action is taken on the application for admission.
  • Plan your financing. With proper planning, paying for college doesn’t have to be overwhelming.  Contact one of our dedicated Hampton U Online specialists to plan your financing regardless of whether your plan to use financial aid, tuition assistance, or a flexible payment plan once Accepted
  • Consult with your assigned advisor. Your advisor will help you review your degree completion plan, decide which courses to take and can answer any questions you have about the registration process.

Once your admissions application has been approved and you have received financial clearance, you will receive a Personal Pin Number and a HUNET registration pin number.  Once you have these numbers, you can proceed to register for the following:

Academic Catalog

View the most recent Academic Catalog.

Transfer Students

Hampton U Online welcomes transfer students to our virtual Home by the Sea! Our advisors promise to provide a fair and timely evaluation of your previous college coursework. We know the amount of time and energy you dedicated to completing these courses. We also understand your need to move forward with your higher education goals. We therefore strive to avoid duplication of equivalent courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university. As adult students, we recognize that education can come outside of college classroom, therefore we also recognize military training, credit-by-examination, and life experience.

Students who have satisfactorily completed courses at an accredited institution may be admitted to regular standing with such advanced standing as their previous records may warrant.

Requirements for advanced standing are:
  1. Satisfactory credit from previous colleges as shown on official transcripts.
  2. Grade point average of “C” or better at previous college(s).
  3. Honorable dismissal from previous college(s). If students are suspended from any previous college, but eligible to return, they may be considered for enrollment at the College of Education and Continuing Studies after the lapse of six months.

Active Duty Military students enrolled in the Hampton U Online are allowed to transfer up to 60 credit hours (SOC requires online programs to transfer in a max of 70% of degree) to the Undergraduate College (Hampton Institute)


What is HUNet?

HUNet is the registration and information system for Hampton University.  Students must access HUNet for all registration issues.

How do I register for courses?

All students must consult with their Advisor before registration to obtain course approval.  Advisors will also provide students with a registration pin number required to register for courses through HUNet (online registration system). Students should be aware of the courses they must register for prior to consulting with their Advisors. Students can access current course offerings from the current Continuing Studies Scheduling Guide. The current scheduling guide includes important information about online courses offered in the current semester.

What if I miss the registration deadline?

Any student who fails to complete registration during the designated dates prior to each term will be charged a $100.00 late registration fee in addition to the $10.00 regular registration fee. This policy does not apply to those students registering for the first time.

How do I add/drop/withdraw from a course?

Courses may be added or dropped during the ADD/DROP period, which occurs during the first week of classes for each session. A full refund will be given only if a completed Add/Drop Form is submitted and course(s) are dropped in HUNet prior to 5:00 p.m. on the fifth (5th) day of the session.  Students can Add or Drop a course using the HUNET Registration System.

A student may withdraw from a course after the Add/Drop Period but before the Final Examination Week. Tuition will NOT be refunded for a withdrawal. The student is responsible for obtaining all the required signatures on the Withdrawal Form and returning the form to the Division of Continuing Studies Registrar.

When can I access my courses on Blackboard?

Students will have access to their Blackboard course 24 hours before the start of the session. Students who register for a course after the start of the session will be able to access their Blackboard course 24 hours after their registration has been processed.

How do I log into Blackboard?

Students access their HU Online courses through the Blackboard Learning Management System. Blackboard is a comprehensive and flexible e-Learning software platform in which faculty and students can access their online courses.  Blackboard requires a log in (username) and password. Online students are strongly encouraged to complete the Blackboard Tutorial before logging into your course.

Who do I contact for financial aid questions?

Your academic advisor is not a financial aid specialist. All financial aid questions should be addressed to their Hampton U Online Specialist at (877) 633-9150. Financial aid information can also be accessed on the HU Office of Financial Aid website. Please be advised that you must be a full time student to be eligible for the Pell Grant or the TAG Grant. You must register for two (2) courses each 8 week session to be considered a full time student.

What if I have a balance on my student account?

Tuition, application, and registration fees are due at the time of registration. All outstanding balances must be paid before a student will be allowed to register for classes. In cases where students are unable to pay the total amount of tuition at the beginning of the term, a deferred schedule of payment is available.  You can access current fee and payment information online in the Hampton U Online scheduling guide.

What are the residency requirements for Hampton U Online?

Students seeking a degree from Hampton University must complete a minimum of 30 academic credit hours at Hampton University.

How do I access the library?

Online students are encouraged to use the Hampton University William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library for their research needs.

Do you have career services?

Online students are encouraged to take advantage of the services offered through the Hampton University Career Center for help in selecting a career and identifying employers.