Music and Performing Arts
The mission of the Department of Music and Performing Arts is to maintain a viable and innovative center of learning in the school of Liberal Arts and Education and to meet the current and future needs of Hampton University students. While committed to serving students from diverse cultural backgrounds, the Department of Music and Performing Arts offers programs that develop and enhance skills in musicianship, performance, music technology, professionalism, and artistic demeanor. The major goals of the Department of Music and Performing Arts are to promote the full development of the student:
- Academically, through the study of the Liberal Arts and Education;
- Musically and artistically, through instruction in musicianship and performance;
- Professionally, through exposure to learning situations and organizations; and
- Socially, through musical activities and performances promoted within and outside of the University.
The activities of the Department of Music and Performing Arts are in concert with the mission of the University and the School of Liberal Arts and Education by providing related experiences which develops students in the ability to:
- Assume responsibility;
- Establish a professional attitude;
- Gain self-confidence;
- Develop a humanistic attitude toward life;
- Become proficient in their area of specialization;
- Appreciate diverse cultures; and
- Contribute positively to the world around them.
The music programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).