Financial Aid for International Students
Financial Aid Eligibility
Most foreign citizens are not eligible for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education. There are, however, some instances in which noncitizens may be eligible for financial aid from the U.S. federal government. Visit StudentAid.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens to learn more. You also should check with your country’s government and with the college you plan to attend to see what aid they might be able to offer you.
In general, financial aid opportunities for international students at Hampton University are limited and highly competitive. However, we understand that paying for a college education irrespective of a student’s origin is a daunting challenge for most students and their families. In an effort to provide you with assistance and direction with your education-related expenses, we have compiled a list of websites that you may find useful in your search for scholarship and grant opportunities.
International Scholarship Opportunities
- GlobalScholarships.com – Scholarships for International Students
- Educations.com’s Study a Bachelor’s in the USA Scholarship
- International Education Financial Aid – The IEFA is the premier resource for financial, college scholarship and grant information for US and international students wishing to study abroad.
- Rotary International
- Fulbright Scholarship Program
- Institute of International Education
- P.E.R.K Consulting’s The NextGen Scholarship
- Deserve’s Scholarship for International Students
International Student Scholarship Search Video
International Student Loans
Loans are available to international students that are planning to study in the USA, as long as they are planning to attend an approved school and have a US Citizen or permanent resident who can co-sign the loan with them.
Other Useful Resources
- Alternative Loans FAQ (Please view the Preferred Lender List)
- Additional resources and information can be obtained from the International Students Manual
as well as in the International Students Scholarship Booklet.
- You may find links to important documents, manuals, and other information related to international students on the Hampton University International Office homepage.
- You may learn more from the Information for International Students Wishing to Attend College in the United States fact sheet located on the Federal Student Aid web site.
- Affordable College’s International Student’s Guide to Financial Aid
- International Student’s Financial Aid Resource