Department of Computer Science Faculty & Staff
Dr. Janett Walters-Willliams Associate Professor, Computer Science
Location: Science and Technology 120
Expertise: Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Machine/Deep Learning, Cyber Security- Malware Analysis, Data Science, STEM Education
Dr. Janett Walters-Williams joined the Department of Computer Science, School of Science, at Hampton University in Fall 2018 as an Assistant Professor. She earned her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Southern Queensland in Australia in 2012; MS and BS in Computer Science from the University of the West Indies (Mona) in 2001 and 1994 respectively.
Dr. Walters-Williams has worked as an educator of Computer Science at the university level for over 25 years and have taught programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Prolog, SQL and Assembly Language working in the three most popular operating systems – Microsoft, Unix/Linux, and MacOS. She has also taught Networking CyberSecurity, Web and Mobile Programming.
Her love for Artificial Intelligence and its applications has guided her research interests which lie in Signal Processing, Neural Networks, Machine/Deep Learning and Data Science. She also has interest in Computer Security and Cloud Computing. Dr. Walters-Williams research is guided by the question “How can I use computer science to improve the lives of others?”
Dr. Walters-Williams has a passion for getting under-represented minorities and women involved in STEM especially Computer Science. Her passion also focuses on K-12 students and teacher training for the STEM fields.
- Williams, J. (2014), EEG Signals and New Independent Component Analysis Techniques, Scholars’ Press, ISBN 978-3-639-71160-8.
- Walters-Williams, J. (2023). CAP-B: A New Teaching Methodology for STEM Education Using Project-Based Learning and Blended Practical in a Cognitive Apprenticeship Framework. US-China Education Review Journal Volume 13, Number 3, Serial Number 114. Pp. 120-137. 10.17265/2161-623X/2023.03.002
- Walters-Williams, J. (2022). H-CUP: Increasing Higher Order Thinking Skills levels through a Framework based on Cognitive Apprenticeship, Universal Design and Project Based Learning. In Creative Education Journal Volume 13 Number 9, pp 2878-2902
- Walters-Williams, J. (2012). Denoising EEG: Which Class of ICA Algorithms Produce Cleaner Signals? In Journal of Bioinformatics and Medical Engineering (BIME), Volume 12, Number 1, pp. 17-27.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2012). BMICA-Independent Component Analysis Based On B-Spline Mutual Information Estimation for EEG Signals, In Canadian Journal on Biomedical Engineering, Volume 3, Number 4, pp. 63-80.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2012). Denoising EEG Using CTICA: an ICA- Filter- Wavelet Merger, IRACST – International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology & Security (IJCSITS), Volume 2 Number 2.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2012). BMICA-Independent Component Analysis Based On B-Spline Mutual Information Estimator, In Signal & Image Processing: An International Journal (SIPIJ), Volume 3, Number 2, pp. 33-52.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2012). Investigating Nearest Neighbours Calculation: The Comparative Study of Distance Functions. In Journal of Communication and Computer, Volume 9, Number 2, pp. 159-166.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2011). Performance Comparison of Known ICA Algorithms to a Wavelet-ICA Merger. In Signal Processing: An International Journal (SPIJ), Volume 5, Issue 3, pp. 80-92.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2011). Improving the Performance of Translation Wavelet Transform using BMICA. In International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security (IJCSIS), Volume 9 Number 6, pp. 48-56
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2011). Using Invariant Translation to Denoise EEG Signals, In American Journal of Applied Sciences, Volume 8, Issue 11, November 2011, pp. 1122-1130.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2011). A New Approach to Denoising EEG Signals – Merger of Translation Invariant Wavelet and ICA. In International Journal of Biometric and Bioinformatics (IJBB), Volume 5, Issue 2, pp. 130 – 148
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2010). B-Spline Mutual Information Independent Component Analysis. In Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, Volume 10, Number 7, pp. 129-141.
- Hunt, D., Walters-Williams, J., Le, Q., (2023) Detecting Transitions States in an Optical Emission Spectrum using Machine Learning, Association of Computer Science Departments at Minority Institutions (ADMI 2023) Symposium, Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
- Walters-Williams, J. (2023). Increasing Students Expertise and Career Competencies Skills in Computer Network using Project-Based Learning and Blended Practical in a Cognitive Apprenticeship Framework. Association of Computer Science Departments at Minority Institutions (ADMI 2023) Symposium, Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
- Elkowitz, L., Wanchek, A., Goyne, C., Dedic, C., Le, Q., Walters-Williams, J., Hunt, D. (2023). Dual-mode Scramjet Control using Optical Emission Sensors. Accepted to 2023 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) SciTech Forum & Exposition, National Harbor, MD. United States.
- Williams, J., Thorpe, S., Campbell, A., Burrell, K., & Grandison, T. (2013). Towards a Forensic-based Service Oriented Architecture Framework for Auditing of Cloud Logs, In Proceedings of the IEEE 9th World Congress on Services, June 28 – July 3, 2013, pp 75-83.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2010). Denoising EEG Signals Using Translation Invariant Wavelet Transform, 11th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BIOCOMP’10), July 12-14, 2010, USA
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2010). Comparative Study of Distance Functions for Nearest Neighbours. In Proceedings of the International Joint Conferences on Computer, Information and Systems Sciences and Engineering (CIS2E 08) Published in Advanced Techniques in Computing Sciences and Software Engineering, Vol. XIV, pp. 79-84
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2010). Comparison of Extended and Unscented Kalman Filters applied to EEG Signals, In Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/ICME International Conference on Complex Medical Engineering (CME2010) in Gold Coast, Australia, 13-15 July 2010.
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2009). Estimation of Mutual Information: A Survey. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Rough Set and Knowledge Technology (RSKT2009) July 14-16, 2009, Gold Coast, Australia
- Walters-Williams, J. & Li, Y. (2008). A Case Study Using Neural Network Algorithms: Horse Racing Predictions in Jamaica, In Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICAI’08), July 14-17, 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada USA
- Walters-Williams, J. (2022). CAP-B: Increasing Students Expertise and Career Competencies Skills in Networking using Project-based Learning and Blended Practical in a Cognitive Apprenticeship Framework [Poster Presentation]. 2022 AAAS-IUSE Summit. Washington DC USA.