Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Faculty
Dr. Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko Assistant Professor, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Location: Turner Hall 325B
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry, Utah state University, Logan, UT
Thesis: “Computational Study of Non-Covalent Interactions and its Applications in Organic, Inorganic and Bioorganic Systems”
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, University of Buea, Buea, Cameroon
Graduated Magna Cum Lauda
Link to personal website: https://vpnnziko.weebly.com/research.html
HIGHLIGHTS OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY-Hampton, VA
Assistant Professor of Chemistry, (August 2018-present)
• Subject Taught (Organic Chemistry and General Chemistry)
• Develop effective teaching methods in Organic chemistry by re-evaluating the class syllabus and introducing active learning methods
• Trained and supervised the research project of 2 undergraduate students and 1 high school student
• Increased the organic chemistry class success rate from 70% to 88% in my first year of teaching.
OAK RIDGE NATIONAL LABORATORY (ORNL)-Oak Ridge, TN
Postdoctoral Associate, (January 2017-August 2018)
• Achieved sound technical experience in computational modeling using software’s such as Gaussian, GROMACS, NAMD and effective laboratory techniques resulting to the publications of 2 peer reviewed papers.
• Engaged in extracurricular interactions with well-known academic icons, developed close collaborations and joint grant applications, and project execution
• Member of the ORNL postdoctoral Association. Organized and coordinated the ORNL postdoctoral symposium day.
UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY-Logan, UT
Student Safety Committee, (August 2013-December 2016)
• Conduct routine laboratory inspections and publish monthly departmental safety information.
• Organized safety webinars and maintain the Departmental safety website page.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILITAIONS/MEMBERSIPS (PAST AND PRESENT)
AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Washington DC
Secretary General-Hampton Road Local Section, (August 2018-present)
• Manage the ACS-Hampton Road local section website.
• Organized award ceremony (prepared the awardee certificates)
• Served as liaison between the ACS-Hampton Road and its member to keep them informed of the association activities
• Worked directly with the local section president and executive to ensure that we are keeping proper records of the local sections’ activity.
Chemist Celebrate Earth Week Coordinator-Hampton Road Local section, (August 2018-Present)
• Coordinated the Chemist celebrate earth weeks activities for the ACS Hampton Road Local section.
• Prepare and presented certificates of participations to the CCEW on behalf of the ACS
VIRGINIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCE (VAS), Richmond, VA
Chair of the Chemistry Division, (May 2019-Present)
Member of Science Advisory Standing Committee, (June 2019-Present)
PUBLICATIONS – 17 Peer Review Papers
1. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Marina Y Fosso, Cheng-Wei Tom Chang “Quantitative structure–activity relationship analysis of antibacterial cationic anthraquinone analogs using Hansch and Fujita models” Med. Chem. Res., 2014, 23(12), 5058-5062
2. Okuma Kasende, Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner” Interactions of Nucleic Acids with Temozolomide: Stacked, Perpendicular, and Coplanar Heterodimers” J. Phys. Chem B., 2016
3. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Catalysis of the Aza-Diels-alder reaction by Hydrogen and Halogen Bonds” J. Org. Chem. 2016 (doi: 10.1021/acs.joc.6b00344)
4. Jaya P Shrestha, Coleman Baker, Yukie Kawasaki, Yagya P Subedi, Vincent de Paul N. Nziko, Jon Y Takemoto, and Cheng-Wei Tom Chang “Synthesis and Bioorganic Investigation of Quinone based multi-cationic triazolium amphiphiles” Eur. J. Med.Chem., 2016
5. Okuma Kasende, Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “H-bonding and Stacking Interactions between Chloroquine and Temozolomide” int. j. quan. Chem. 2016
6. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Santa Jasone-Popova, Vyacheslav S. Braynstsev “Theoretical Calculations of the pKa Values of Some Organic Cations in DMSO and Aqueous Solution Using Implicit Solvation Model” J. Phys. Chem. C., 2017(submitted)
7. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Effects of Agular deformation on the Energetics of the SN2 reaction” Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2016(23), 3964-3968
8. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Comparison of π-hole tetrel bonding with σ-hole halogen bonds in complexes of XCN (X = F, Cl, Br, I) and NH3” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2016, Advance Article DOI: 10.1039/C5CP07545A.
9. Okuma Kasende, Muya Jule, Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Hydrogen-Bonded and Stacked geometries of the Temozolomide Dimer” J. Mol. Mod. 2016 22: 27
10. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Interaction between Thiourea and Imines. Prelude to catalysis” J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80 (20), 10334–10341
11. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “S••• π Chalcogen Bonds between SF2 or SF4 and CC Multiple Bonds” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2015, 119 (22), 5889–5897
12. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Intramolecular S•••O Chalcogen Bond as Stabilizing Factor in Geometry of Substituted Phenyl-SF3 Molecules” J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80 (4), 2356–2363
13. Marina Fosso, Madher N AlFindee, Qian Zhang, Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Yukie Kawasaki, Sanjib K Shrestha, Jeremiah Bearss, Rylee Gregory, Jon Y Takemoto, Cheng-Wei Tom Chang “Structure–Activity Relationships for Antibacterial to Antifungal Conversion of Kanamycin to Amphiphilic Analogues” J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80 (9), 4398–4411
14. Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner “Chalcogen Bonding between Tetravalent SF4 and Amines” J. Phys. Chem. A, 2014, 118 (45), 10849– 10856
15. Marina Y Fosso, Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Cheng-Wei Tom Chang “Chemical Synthesis of N-Aryl Glycosides” J. Carb. Chem., 2012, 31(8), 603-619
16. Qian Zhang, Madher N. Alfindee, Jaya P. Shrestha, Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Yukie Kawasaki, Xinrui Peng, Jon Y. Takemoto, and Cheng-Wei Tom Chang “Practical and Divergent Synthesis of Three Classes of Antifungal Amphiphilic Kanamycin Derivatives” J. Carb. Chem., 2016
17. Okuma Kasende, Vincent de Paul N Nziko, Steve Scheiner” Interactions between Temozolomide and Quercetin” Struc. Chem., 2016
1. Joelle Ngo Hanna, Fidele Ntie-Kang, Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Paul T Chongwain, Simon MM Efange “Computer-aided design and screening of oxazolyl thiosemicarbazones against multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: coupling 2D descriptors with topological differences” 4th ANDI Stakeholder Meeting and Donors Conference, Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia; 10/2011
2. Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Steve Scheiner “N-S vs ?-S interactions: a computational study” ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. Vol. 251. 1155 16TH ST, NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20036 USA: AMER CHEMICAL SOC, 2016.
3. Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Steve Scheiner “DFT conformational study of phenylsulfur trifluoride and their properties” ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. Vol. 248. 1155 16TH ST, NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20036 USA: AMER CHEMICAL SOC, 2015.
4. Anderson, Stacey N., Vincent de Paul Nzuwah Nziko, Cheng-Wei Tom Chang, and Alvan C. Hengge. “Enhancing safety in academic research laboratories: Creating a student-based safety committee.” ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, vol. 248. 1155 16TH ST, NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20036 USA: AMER CHEMICAL SOC, 2014.
5. Nziko V.P.N.; Fosso M. Y..; Chang C.-W. T. “Structural Optimization of Kanamycin Analogs.” ABSTRACTS OF HANSEN RETREAT, September 2012, Wellsville, UT