Communicative Sciences and Disorders
Welcome to the website of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders. Undergraduate study prepares students for graduate study in the fields of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and results in the award of the B.A. degree in Communicative Sciences and Disorders. Graduate training in the specialization of Speech-Language Pathology is offered and leads to an M.A. degree.
Hampton University’s program is one of six accredited Master’s degree programs in the state of Virginia. The Master’s of Arts in Communicative Sciences and Disorders (speech-language pathology) at Hampton University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700 for the period 2018 – 2023.
The mission of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students to meet the needs of children and adults with communication impairments in a changing multicultural society. In so doing, the academic programs are designed to disseminate existing knowledge of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disorders, and to provide clinical experiences in the prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of speech, language, swallowing, and hearing disorders.
- We were the first degree-granting program at an historically Black university.
- We are one of six accredited Master’s degree programs in the state of Virginia.
- We operate a full service on-campus Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic located on the second floor of Wilma Harper Horne Science and Technology Hall.
- We provide outreach clinical services to over 20 public and private schools in Hampton Roads, Virginia
- We have agreements with 50 agencies for graduate extern clinical practicum
- We support a viable campus chapter of the National Student Speech Language
- Hearing Association (NSSLHA) (www.asha.org/students) that earned Gold Chapter Status for 2021
Department of Communicative Sciences & Disorders
Hampton, VA 23668